History on the Border
The Lloydminster area was first settled in April, 1903 with the arrival of the Barr Colonists, approximately 2,600 people from England. The new settlement was named in honour of Reverend Lloyd for his efforts in leading the colonists.
The newly founded hamlet of Lloydminster was located astride the fourth Meridian in the Northwest Territories. When the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan were created in 1905 and the fourth Meridian selected as the inter-provincial boundary, the Village of Lloydminster was split in two. The Alberta portion of the divided community was incorporated as a Village in Alberta on July 6, 1906, while the Saskatchewan portion was incorporated as a Town in Saskatchewan in April, 1907.
Lloydminster’s unusual bi-provincial situation resulted in the duplication of all municipal functions, such as the creation of two separate municipal councils, two municipal offices and two fire departments. Common sense prevailed and the two communities were amalgamated into a single municipality - the Town of Lloydminster on May 20, 1930. On January 1, 1958, the Town of Lloydminster received its charter as the City of Lloydminster and became the tenth city in both provinces.